Sunday, April 5, 2009

people are inflicted with pain throughout their lives. Whether it is physical or emotional pain - everyone has been through it. Sometimes it is hard to overcome. Some people let their pain get too into their heads, this can eventually lead to suicide. A question that I was asked once was would I rather live with physical or emotional pain for the rest of my life. The answer to this question is still something I am not completely sure of. I think that I would much rather go through physical pain for the rest of my life. Yes it will hurt to an unbearable extent but at the same time, emotional pain is something very hard to try to overcome. There is depression and emotional pain can sometimes lead to mental illnesses.

This question is one that needs to be well thought out. The person who asked me this question asked me about 2 years ago. I stll am unsure of my answer. Although emotional pain is harder to endure than physical pain, it could also be easier because the physical pain could consist of being on fire or something of that sort. So when you think about, its scary and it may seem like emotional pain would be the better option. So, physical or emotional pain?

5 comments:

  1. Diana, emotional pain is certainly harder to get throuhgh. we are bodies and to certain extent we will always feel pain, either when we get hurt or even when we are sick. However to feel pain in ones mind and in their heart, to carry guilt, to feel depression, those things carry into the other aspects of our lives.Physical pain can be caused by emotional pain, it a serious matter. personally i would rather endure through physical pain than the hardship of emotional pain. Sometimes you need to choose the lesser of two evils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I could not make a decision on physical or emotional pain. I've always thought of myself being able to deal with emotional pain pretty well. Physical pain I could defiantly not deal with. I bruise way to easily to deal with physical pain everyday of my life. I would probably if I had to make a choice it would probably be emotional pain even if I'm depressed or mentally ill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my personal opinion i don't think a person could choose either one. Physical and emotional pain come hand in hand. While facing excruciating physical pain, emotional pain is inevitable. The pain take a toll on you and some might develop illness such as depression, and with emotional pain i also think it would take a toll on your body, one might become physical weakened by their burdens and just become listless. I don't know which is worse but I much rather have to choose between neither. According to an article on pubmed.com by Madhukar H. Trivedi, M.D,'Physical symptoms are common in major depression and may lead to chronic pain and complicate treatment. Symptoms associated with depression include joint pain, limb pain, back pain, gastrointestinal problems, fatigue, psychomotor activity changes, and appetite changes." this just show how the two types of pain are realated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that I can make a choice and deal with one of the two. I rather deal with emotional pain because I am very positive and eager to live. If I am feeling down I won't go out and commit suicide because that is being selfish to all the people who love and care for you. Physical pain hurts you in many ways and is something I hate going through which I am going through right now with 3 pins inside of my hand. Its something I wouldn't want to and probably couldn't deal with the rest of my life. I feel that physical pain may lead to emotional problems like hurting a leg or being in a hospital in pain and may want you to give up in life, but with my attitude I hope I don't get that feeling one day and hope to stay healthy emotionally and physically even through the ups and downs in life. Being positive and strong emotionally will lead to being physically strong and healthy in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a huge topic to just throw out there is an general manner. Go deeper.

    Grade: 3/4

    ReplyDelete