Monday, May 11, 2009

"What are friends? Friends are people that you think are your friends. But they really your enemies, with secret identities." -Eminem

Since I was in the fourth grade I have been listening to Eminem's music. His music at one point in my life was able to sooth me. He is some one I admire because of everything he has been through. He is not a hero or my idol but in spite of overwhelming obstacles, he was able to persevere and endure in life. When he was about three months old his father left and never came back. Growing up without a father figure and an alcoholic, pill-taking mother is not the kind of life a kid should be living.

He married his wife Kim and had a baby girl named Halie. He has made songs for both his wife and his daughter. The relationship he had with his wife was also a hard one, they couldn't afford many things. In a song he talks about how he was not able to buy his daughter a christmas present and his wife had to buy the presents. He came from barely able to support his family to having a mansion and many albums with songs that hit the top of the charts.

He recently came out with music that sold himself out. It was not who Eminem was when he started. The music he began to make started becoming more commercialized and just a way to make money. His original music had a lot to say about life and many things. Some of it was controversial and he was brought to court for things he said against his wife and his mother.

Some of the songs that I really like from him are Rock Bottom, Stan, Cleaning Out My Closet, 97' Bonnie & Clyde. But those are only three of many songs.

7 comments:

  1. I was actually going to write a similar blog about eminem but on his new C.D Relapse. I don't know if that's the one you mentioned. Relapse is all over the Internet if you have not checked it out yet, it will come out soon. Unfortunately I wanted to buy the C.D but I ended up downloading it. His new songs are crazy but more like him I guess. These songs are more about things like his past drug addiction. There is allot of people he "attacks" but most of the songs are about drugs,weed, rape and other crazy controversial things. I found it to be more personal then the others and I like the way he puts the songs together along with the style. I actually like the new songs while there are allot of other people who disagree. Eminem has changed but now allot of people are saying "hes back". I agree with you he has been through allot and he's shared his whole life in his songs for all to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I meant by selling himself out with his new music I meant his song "Crack a Bottle." That song had absolutely nothing to do with what Eminem use to be and what he was all about. He always judged people that were in the industry with music that was meant to sell not what they really believed in.

    I actually have not heard any of his songs from "Relapse." But if you are saying that "he's back" with this one, well I guess not all of his new music sounded like "Crack a Bottle."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eminem is one of the greatest rappers in it's history. Here is a white male from the streets of impoverished Detroit who overcame the worst of obstacles and made his way to the top and is more talented than most African American rappers who basically identify the music. His rhytm goes perfectly with his beats and as contrevesial as his lyrics are there is always an explanation and justification. And he does have good songs from his new album, go on myspace and check them out

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can comment on why Eminem has been coming out with this new music. When he had "retired" like many other artist have done, he said that he had nothing left to write about. The fact that all his music was depressing and suicidal had to do with his life. Since making it big in the music world, Eminem has nothing left to complain and hurt about. Therefore his music can no longer be about pain because it would be fake something he isn't known for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Diana, I have to say I actually enjoy Eminem’s new music. I found many of his old works of music very harsh and overwhelming; I think his new songs are slightly less dense which is nice to listen to. In fact i found many of his old works of music quite offensive, but lately I am quite pleased with him. I was never a fan before, and I have to disagree with you when you say he "sold himself out" I think it made him a better artist. This is music I can relate to a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i LOVE Eminem. Since i was like 10 years old i remember having all his CD's. i admired his music because it wasnt the typical stuff you heard on the radio. It has a poetic flow to it and his words reached out to all types of people. i feel like he is blunt in getting his point across and it talented in his writing. Hes been gone for a while and is recently coming back but i have to admit, something changed. I guess maybe even he is running out of ideas, but still i appreciate the music he did make

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post. Love the first quote.

    Grade: 4/4

    ReplyDelete