Many people don't bother to research what they are basing their arguments on. Protein can be found in many other sources besides meat. Soy products are definitely a good source of protein. Beans, nuts, and things of this nature also have protein. Most people in the world are obnivores. It is a difficult thing to achieve, to be or become vegetarian. What this means is leaving part of your old life behind, a life your entire family lives. A lot of people fail in the process but becoming a vegetarian is definitely worth it. It is the challenge that I am currently taking.
If this site does not move you in any way or it doesn't cause any emotions, it's a disappointing truth. People are entitled to their way of life and their own opinions, just sometimes you would hope that people would have the same point of view as you do. The site Meat.org has a video on the main page, DO NOT watch if you have a weak stomach!!!)

The top picture when clicked leads to the link Meat.org.

I recently read a novel in AP History, The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair, that describes the conditions of meat production in the nineteenth century. When I was watching this video I felt like I was reading this novel again. It's very disturbing to see that this is allowed to happen. I have to say that watching this video was like witnessing a murder and doing nothing about it.
ReplyDelete"...They were so innocent...They had done nothing to deserve it; and it was adding insult to injury, as the thing was done here, swinging them up in this cold-blooded, impersonal way, without a pretense of apology, without homage of a tear... this slaughtering machine ran on visitors or no visitors. It was like some horrible crime committed in a dungeon, all unseen and unheeded, buried out of sight and of memory...Each one of these hogs was a separate creature... And each of them had an individuality of his own...Now suddenly it had swooped upon him, and had seized him by the leg. All his protests, his screams, were nothing to it, it did its cruel will with him, as if his wishes, his feelings, had simply no existence at all; it cut his throat and watched him gasp out his life."
Changing our food habits is a challenge, especially if it means eliminating a big part of our meals. Becoming a vegetarian is possible but only if we count with the mentality and will to do so. Watching this video was definitely something that I won't forget that easily. You are able to make eye contact with these creatures, and it's like if they were begging you to help them, they look at you as you watch them being slaughtered with cruelty.
I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, when we see things like this, many times we rather ignore them, that way they don't affects us, "out of sight, out of mind."
I watched the video and throughout the hole thing I could only think about the people who actually do those things to the animals. Killing live animals the way they did was sick and crazy. I couldn't look at some of the things that were done. My father is a butcher at a food town grocery store and even he wouldn't be able to do things like that, I don't know who would. I grew up eating meat because he's been a butcher for along time so naturally it will be hard for me to change my diet. Allot of people don't want to know the truth about this kind of thing because its easier to continue eating meat. To be honest I wouldn't have watched it if you hadn't brought it up. Before this I never thought about the meat when it was alive or how they killed the animals. As Alejandra said its going to be a challenge to change the way I eat. Even if I cant do it ill never be able to forget the things that were in the video.
ReplyDeleteHey Diana, I Just watched the meat video I can't beleive the cruelty that people actually put other living beings through. It was one of the worst things I have ever witnessed. I commend anyone who is a veggitarian, it is a very nobel thing to do, however I am currently not a meat eater due to religious cirumstances, and I have consisdered not going back afterwards. I think that if someone knew their meat and how it got on their plate there would be less waste in this country. Food is a blessing that G-d gives us and it has come to my attention that thousands of tons of meat go into the trash each day. It becomes easy to eat something that tastes good without really knowing the sacrafices that were made to get it their. I also know that biblcally we are told to eat meat and scientifically, its supposed to be good for us. Perhaps people knew there was a humane way of killing the animals it might not seem so bad. I am not jewish but I do know that when and animal is killed in a kosher way, it dies gently and the animal is treated much, much kinder. In my opionion if we were not supposed to eat meat, g-d and the people that have been doing it for thousands of years would have told us not to. Realisticly though, I don't think that people are going to go out and begin purchasing kosher meat unless they are truly driven. I beleive every meat eater should watch that video, and once I am able to eat meat again, if I even go back I will appreciate it much more and defianlty know that it was killed humanly.
ReplyDeleteW-O-W. I had no idea they would do such a thing to innocent, defense-less animals. I understood that they had to find a way to get us humans food, BUT I had no clue thats how they did it. I seen the video and I almost Cried. That's HORRIFIC, AND UNBELIEVEABLE... it's horrifying they would do such a shameless thing. Dont they have no same in themselves? ESPICALLY CASTRATING the cows and the baby pigs, I wonder how would they feel if they were castrated like that or slammed on the concreate until they were no longer breathing. There are always alternatives to things and I am SURE there can be alternatives to something like that. UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!.... I am discusted, after seeing that I would like to atttempt to be vegitarian, not for myself, but in an attempt to take some-what of a stand for the defense-less.
ReplyDeleteI just finished the video and not only am i shocked at the the horrible ways these animals are treated but I'm saddened I've supported such an industry. I knew there the horrible conditions that go on in slathering house but I just forgot all the horrors i was exposed to by the time of my next meal. I honestly think that this video will be suffice enough to convert present meat-eaters into vegetarians. I personally have signed the petition and plan on not only to keep this vegetarian diet for 30 days but for it to continue after this time period has ended. Im really glad that you posted this because it will bring much needed attention to this problem most americans feel fine with with, unfortunately. i especially hope that everyone who reads this post actually watches the video and takes a stand against cruelty towards animal in farms and slaughterhouses as me and the other commenters have.
ReplyDeleteHey! I just want to say I seen this video a while back. All i have to say i am not a big fan of pork before this video because i had an idea of what they did to these poor animals. The first time i tried not to eat meat was after my sister showed me Peta.org, the only thing i did stop was eating fast food because of the whole process. Some people doesn't have a heart, its crazy because someone told me they don't want to hurt them it is their job. now that is just crazy. it is very sad and disappointing to watch this as a meat eater but i started to eat meat as a child, and it will be hard to stop.
ReplyDeleteHey diana, I'm happy to know that my decision made you smile. I feel really passionate about this choice to abstain from eating meat. I'm just happy that your post was the right amount of motivation to help me venture into vegetarianism. Believe me as as a frequent fish eater I know how hard is it to give it up but I think it will be all worth it. I've already researched great vegetarian recipes so it can be an easy transition. Thank you for the kind words of encouragement and I hope that you too will be successful with everything.
ReplyDeleteWhat a passionate and thorough post. I have been a vegetarian my entire life, and I admire your efforts to educate people about your convictions. It's great how many people were inspired to comment on this topic.
ReplyDeleteGrade: 4/4