Sunday, March 8, 2009

Kafka's The Metamorphosis

Franz Kafka impacted the world in a way he doesn't even know. Before he died, his last request was for his work to be burnt. His friend Max Brod ignored Kafka's request and published it anyway. Kafka's The Metamorphosis is a short story about a man named Gregor Samsa who turns into an insect. He was a person who worked and that is all he ever thought about. He maintained his family on his own even though they were all capable of working to help him with the load. A probable reason for Kafka choosing for Gregor to transform into an insect is that insects never stop working. They spend their entire lifes building homes for their families or gathering food for the rest. Gregor as a bug is suppose to symbolize the nature of his priorities before transforming into an insect.
This shot story is different compared to the other novels and short stories I've read before. It was very interesting and some of the objects had symbolism behind them. The scene in the short story when Gregor's father throws and apple at him symbolizes Gregor being exiled from the rest of the family. It shows that his family is isolating him. This part of the short story was sad and your heart goes out for Gregor. Although, I do have to say that Gregor did not show any emotion throughout the short story. He showed excitement at the fact that his family couldn't take advantage of him anymore once he realized he was a bug. But other than excitement for the change, there was no other real emotion.
The Metamorphosis was a strange short story. It was a short story that would seem to be written for children because of it's use of simple vocabulary. There were about four words that a child might not understand but can simply ask what they meant. The story makes you feel as if there is no real context and it is just what it is. But since it was written by Kafka, that is not the case. I enjoyed this short story. It wasn't one of those times that while reading what was assigned to me, I'm falling asleep. I was able to enjoy it also, because it was not a long story. The Metamorphosis was an interesting and enjoyable short story by Franz Kafka.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I think it was a very interesting short story. I like the fact that there wasn't a lot of reading to di and that the use of words was pretty simple. It was easy to understand what Kafka wrote. I usually don't enjoy reading books, but even though this was an unrealistic book i enjoyed it a lot. This book didn't bore me at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was stimulating to me as well. Yes, it was an easy read but i feel that in was challanging in some aspects. The charachters took some getting to understand. There was depth realizing the theme of the story. Although short, it carried alot of meaning. The issues of vunrability, isolation and the effect of "change" altogether are portrayed. I enjoyed his work and the messages conveyed through his literature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana, I agree with you in some parts of your reaction to the 'Metamorphosis'. I too believe that the novella was strange but that was why I loved it. Its different and as we discussed in class i liked it because it explored the subconscious mind which i find compelling. I don't agree with you on the idea that the 'Metamorphosis' was so easy that a child would understand it because there is always deeper meaning to a piece of literature then just the text and a child would not be able to grasp these concepts. Overall I thought that the story was something very different from anything I previously read and i enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I agree with Jay and disagree with your analysis of the level of the language.

    Grade: 3/4

    ReplyDelete